Is It Safe To Wet My Natural Hair Everyday?
I started my natural hair journey back in April of 2012. It’s been a long journey and not until recently have I started to feel comfortable about my natural curls.
One lurking question I’ve had since I began my natural hair journey has been whether or not its safe to wet my hair every day?!?! Not washing my hair, simply rinsing my hair every day.
Typically, I wear my hair in a curly afro. Because my hair is a coily and springy 4a (find your hair type here), I feel like I have to rinse (completely) and comb my hair everyday. I never seemed to master the pineapple method and my hair gets matted no matter how I wrap it up in my sleep.
After rinsing and combing my hair in the shower I put leave in conditioner and coconut oil to keep it moisturized. I let it air dry then I’m out the door.
Girl, Wet Your Hair as Much As You’d Like!
I searched high and low and I can’t find any reason, for any hair type, to not rinse or wet their hair every single day! Damage isn’t dependent on if you wet your hair daily, it’s how you wet your hair. When completely saturating your hair you have to play close attention to:
- How you comb through your hair while it’s completely saturated. Most people, like me, like to detangle the hair while it’s wet and by doing this, you can cause a lot of breakage. It’s important to either detangle your hair with an appropriate brush or do like other naturalista’s and finger through their hair gently. Some would say that you should ONLY detangle you’re hair when it’s dry to prevent breakage. I really couldn’t be absolutely sure, but hey I’m sure you could find one of these options suitable for you.
- The type of water you’re using to rinse/wet your hair. Don’t use extremely hot or hard water when rinsing your hair. Naturally Curly says “Minerals dissolved in hard water deposit onto the surface of hair and after many washings can create a very unpleasant scaly build up. This accumulated layer of hard debris can cause hair to be dry and unruly, tangle easily, appear dull and lifeless, and lead to breakage. If possible, a water softening system can help prevent these issues.”
- How often you’re washing your hair. Don’t wash your hair everyday.Washing your hair daily can strip your hair of the moisturizing oils you need on a everyday basis. Also, women with coarser hair can wash their hair far more than a woman with fine hair.
- Keeping your hair properly moisturized at all times. If you’re going to rinse/wet your hair on a daily basis it’s important to keep it protected and you can do this by applying a leave-in-conditioner after every rinse.
- How you dry your hair. When drying your hair with a towel gently pat your hair dry, do not vigorously pat your hair dry. Excessive towel drying can be very abrasive and will eventually lead to breakage.
It took me half a year to figure this out so I hope I catch you early on in your natural hair journey!