We can pretend that our daughters aren’t affected or influenced by societies severely skewed standard of beauty all we want, but the facts still remain in that young African American girls have an extremely narrow window of positive images and affirmations in the world telling them that their wide noses, coarse hair and fuller lips are beautiful or even accepted!
Angelica Sweeting, founder and creator of Naturally Perfect Dolls, isn’t having one bit of that “black isn’t beautiful” story line, creating the first line of natural hair 18-inch dolls for our young, and very impressionable little girls.
“Here I am – 27 years old, and I am honestly just beginning to walk into who I am, my natural beauty. I want this to happen earlier, not only for my daughters but for your daughter, your niece, your sister, and for all young girls around the world. I want this to happen for all the young girls who never felt pretty enough because of their kinks, curls, wider noses or fuller lips.”
Check it out:
Why My Daughter Needs An Angelica Doll…
I think I’m doing a fairly wonderful job at ensuring my children, through verbal and non-verbal affirmations, view themselves as beautiful. However, even with constantly reminding my daughter that her naturally curly afro looks beautiful every time she wears it and making it a point to show her positive depictions of African American beauty, my daughter still comes home from school saying she wants her hair long and straight like her (caucasian) girlfriend Haley.
And then, there’s this…
Needless to say, the Indian hair had to be stored in a much higher region of my home…
Furthermore, having a doll that will allow my daughter to help Lola learn more about styling natural hair is a total win in my book. Now, when mommy does her two-strand twists in the mirror, little Lola can practice on her Angelica doll!
How To Get Angelica For Your Daughter?
Head on over to Sweetings Kickstarter page, pledge $70 and get your Angelica Doll right on time for Christmas.
Here are a few of Angelica’s features:
1. Style and wash the doll’s kinky/curly hair just as natural hair. Angelica’s hair was tested for eight months! It was twisted, bantu knotted, combed, brushed, blew out, curl wanded and re-washed over and over again. Angelica is able to withstand a young girls curiosity about taking care of and having fun with kinky/curly hair! No more tangled doll hair!
2. Facial features true to women of color! Say goodbye to spray-painted brown Barbie dolls! The Angelica Doll has the face of a beautiful brown girl including a full nose, fuller lips, beautiful check bones, and brown eyes!
3. Exposure to new paths and careers. Let’s not just tell the next generation of women that they can do anything. LET’S SHOW THEM! The Angelica Doll and future dolls will have new and interesting careers that will expose young girls to what is happening in the world now and the many possibilities they have in the future. The Angelica Doll is a courageous, bold entrepreneur full of self belief, natural beauty, and perseverance. For future dolls we will introduce careers such as engineering, journalism, software development, public relations, etc.
Your initial purchase of The Angelica Doll will include:
• 1 outfit: A trendy and classic outfit that will keep Angelica in style as she travels to meetings and builds her business.
• 1 styling tool and product: A mini denman type brush, styling cream, and a water bottle
• Naturally Perfect Song: A free digital download of a song created JUST for our Naturally Perfect girls. Rock out with a cool song about self-love and a new standard of beauty. Produced and written by @therealjsweet aka Mr. Naturally Perfect.
What do you think of of Miss Angelica? Would you purchase for your little mama?
[I was NOT financially compensated for this post. All thoughts and opinions my own.]